Saturday 18 February 2012

Exhibition of Scott's Last Expedition meant so much to me

Fifty years ago, at the age of seven, I made a diary about Captain Scott's Expedition at junior school to celebrate the fifty years since he and his friends had perished on the way back from the South Pole, knowing that Norwegian, Raold Amundsen had got there first.
Through the years, I've remembered the story about their trek to the Pole, and especially the bit about Oates going out for a walk and saying he might be some time, but never coming back.
However, I never expected to be able to see the actual equipment that they took with them, from the cameras to record their journey, to the tins of biscuits that sustained them, which are displayed in a reconstruction of the area of the base hut where they wintered the year before their attempt on the pole in 1912.
The exhibition at the Natural History Museum is on until September 2nd and is well worth a visit. Have you seen it?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the exhibition, but I'd love to and can imagine how fascinating it must be to see this reconstruction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too far away but it sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete