Saturday 27 September 2014

I couldn't put down The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes!

The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes wasn't in my To Be Read Pile (see last week's blog post), because I was actually reading it! So, now I've finished, here's my review.
For a start it was hard to put down once I got into it, because it started at a rented house at a seaside resort, rather like the books I've been reading all summer, and at first I thought, oh no, not another!
But that was only setting the scene for Jess Thomas, optimistic, despite all life's hard knocks, and Ed Nichols, who is destined to lose everything because of one silly mistake, to eventually meet.
Two people couldn't be more different, she is his cleaner, and he, a high flying computer expert who's sold his business and made a lot of money. He is reeling from a failed affair, following an equally disastrous  marriage, and she is a divorcée, bringing up her own daughter, Tanzie, as well as her ex-husband's son from another relationship, Nick.
It is when maths genius, Tanzie, is offered a lifeline to enable her to get a scholarship to a private school where she will not be bullied, like Nick has been, that things really kick off and this story becomes a road trip like no other with happiness as well as heartbreak, and some really funny moments.
I like the way that each character takes it in turns to be the subject of a chapter. However, Jojo Moyes hasn't written it in the first person, but in the third, using the character's language to good effect.
If you are looking for a great story to enjoy, this is for you!

1 comment: